Thursday 21 January 2010

SOWs and other animals

The focus on this week's class was on schemes of work (SOWs) and it highlighted the fact that I don't think there is one for the course I'm teaching. This is where I had a light bulb moment as SOWs seem to fill the gap on something I've been struggling with. I was given a course timetable at the beginning of the year and I've been using this as a way of structuring learning week by week. This is where I've struggled as, unlike last year's, the timetable has blocks of 6-8 weeks with just a module title. I've been using the CIPD professional standards (which outline the objectives which should be met) and I've been slotting the content into the weeks. I didn't think this was the best way to do it but in the absence of anything else...

Naturally, I was initially annoyed that I didn't have a SOW to work from. I decided to ask my boss at the College (quite innocently) if she could send me the SOW, and she did. Then I felt a bit daft for not asking for it in the first place. That was until I read it! It clearly hadn't been updated for some time and included topics which weren't even part of the professional standards.

So it looks like I'll be writing a new SOW for the assignment which is due in the week after half term - oink!

No comments:

Post a Comment