Tuesday 12 January 2010

Prologue

Well, that's not a word I'd normally use (in fact, I had to check the spelling) but it fits what I'm going to do in this post. I wanted to give a overview of the story so far not least as it might seem strange, due to the purpose of this blog, to start at the beginning of the calendar rather than the academic year.

I did originally start the PGCE back in September and attended the induction session. Because I'd previously done a Certificate in Training Practice, I didn't need to do the first term of the programme.

I did have to complete a bridging assignment which involved me observing two experienced qualified teachers and writing an essay on what I had learnt and how I would apply that learning to my teaching practice. I observed a fellow lecturer (Barry) at Stockport College and a friend who teaches holistic therapies at Trafford College (Davide). I learnt very different things from each of them and I have applied both aspects to my lessons. From Barry, I liked the way he used the interactive whiteboard to record responses from students and to illustrate points. I have now started using the whiteboard in my classroom (having avoided it for a whole year) and the students have responded well. It means the people at the back of the room can see rather than having to squint at the flip chart. From Davide, I liked his use of practical exercises and, although I haven't asked my students to strip off and rub each other with hot pebbles, I have included more exercises in my lessons.

The final thing I wanted to talk about in this post is to outline my teaching experience so far and why attending this programme is such good timing. I only started teaching in September 2008 - although I have been delivering training for the last 10 years. My first class was small (only 10 students) and I taught the CIPD Learning and Development elective, which is part of the professional development scheme. This was good group to start with and 9 of them passed the exam at the end of the year. I'm particularly proud of them as the exams are set at masters level and the national pass rate usually hovers at around 55%. This year's class is something quite different and involves 22 students, with a range of skills and abilities, completing a level 3 qualification, assessed primarily through coursework (and the marking that entails). And it's this class which makes the timing of the PGCE really good. It means that I can apply learning from the course which will really make a difference to my teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment