Tuesday 26 January 2010

Assessment - it's the future!

Yesterday evening Margaret came to College to give me feedback on the session she observed last week. I found it really useful because, of course, it was focused on my own individual performance and it was also good to have another opinion of my teaching methods. We discussed and highlighted a number of areas for improvement including controlling the learning environment more closely and using directed questions to include more learners. We completed our conversation by highlighting assessment as an area to focus on for my next observation.

Now you see, I'm the sort of person who only needs to be told something once... In the class that followed I started to put into practice a lot of what we'd discussed. For one of the group activities I mixed the groups up as students had become accustomed to working with the same people. When asking for feedback from the activities, I chose the people to feedback and purposely picked the students who usually prefer to let others do it. These couple of changes seemed to be successful and I felt a lot more in control.

So next time I will focus on assessment - it's the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment