Thursday 11 March 2010

Observation - part deux

This week's class saw Margaret observing for the second time.

Overall, I feel that the session went well. I'd had a hard day at work so things could only get better really!

For this evening's session I tried to apply a couple of the learning points from the first observation in January. First of all I tried to control the learning environment more by getting into the room early and moving the furniture around so that learners would be sat in groups of 4 - which would facilitate the exercises later on. I also asked the two learners from each group to move so they had the opportunity to work with other people.

Second, I included a method for assessing learning. This took for the form of an initial assessment method which required learners to rate themselves against a set of skills they had come up with. This worked well and gave me an idea of where their strengths lay and areas for improvement/development.

Later in the session I also used a group exercise technique which I'd learnt in the PGCE class. The learners worked in small groups to form an answer which I then took and compared to those from other groups and finally revealed the real answer. This enabled learners to share their thoughts and perceptions on the question and to form a group answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment